Thursday, October 27, 2016

Acting With The Superstars



COLUMN: LOCATION DIARY

Alencier Ley Lopez talks about his experiences in the films, 'Kasaba', 'Munthiri Vallikal Thalirkkumbol' and 'Monsoon Mangoes'

Photos: Alencier Ley Lopz by Albin Mathew; the poster of 'Kasaba', the late Jose Paramus 

By Shevlin Sebastian

One day, when Alencier Ley Lopez was acting in 'Kammatipaadam' (2016), production controller Alex called him up and said that there was a role for him in 'Kasaba', which starred superstar Mammooty. But Alencier felt nervous. He had never acted with Mammooty, or met him. “I had heard that he was a tough person,” says Alancier. “So I told Alex that I was hesitant to act with the star.”

That was when Alex gave him a surprise. “He told me that it was Mammooty who insisted that I should act in 'Kasaba',” says Alencier. “So I felt encouraged.”

When Alencier was leaving for Kolar, Karnataka, for the shoot, he told Dulquer, the superstar's son, who was also acting in 'Kammatipaadam', about his new role.

Dulquer said, “My father and I had seen 'Maheshinte Prathikaaram' together, at our home. At that time, my father said, 'Alencier is good. We must take him for our films'.”

When Alencier arrived on the set, he saw that there was a large crowd present, all waiting to get a glimpse of the superstar. Alex offered to take Alencier inside the trailer. But he said he would meet Mammooty on the set.

When Mammooty entered the set, he immediately spotted Alencier. He came forward, shook his hand, and said, “My name is Mammooty.”

Alencier burst out laughing because Mammooty had introduced himself. “As a result, I became relaxed immediately,” says Alencier. “He made me feel comfortable. And I had a very nice time on the sets.”

But Alencier could not resist talking to the media about how the superstar felt the need to introduce himself. Soon, everybody in the industry came to know about this incident.

Meanwhile, Alencier got a chance to act with another superstar Mohanlal in an upcoming film, 'Munthiri vallikal thalirkkumbol'. On the sets, at Kozhikode, two months ago, he was taken by scriptwriter Sindhu Raj to a house where Mohanlal was resting.

As soon as Alencier was introduced, the superstar could not resist saying, “My name is Mohanlal.”

Alencier again burst into laughter, and said, “I think there is no need to tell my name. You must be knowing it.” The superstar grinned and nodded.

Alencier had a chance to laugh again when, in late, 2014, he got a call. A man said, “I am Fahadh Faasil. Do you have a passport?”

Alencier replied in the affirmative. “Good,” the man said. “We will be going to America for a couple of months. You have a role in 'Monsoon Mangoes'.” But when the conversation ended, Alencier began to have doubts. 'Was it really Fahadh or an imposter who called me?' he thought. So he called back on the same number and said, “Who is this? Don't play the fool with me.”

Fahaad said, “Chetta, it is really me.”

In Louisiana, in March, 2015, several Indian-Americans, from other states, would come and stay at an apartment, where Alencier also lived. They would play their small parts and go away. One evening, a man by the name of Jose Paramus arrived. “He immediately began reading the Bible,” says Alencier. “He did not speak much.”

The next morning, Jose left at 5 a.m. for the set. Following his shot, he immediately left for the airport. Later, when Alencier went to the location, he was told that Jose had died of a heart attack inside the plane. He was only 61 years old.

“A man came to act in a film for the first time, stayed with strangers, acted with strangers, went into the cinema world briefly, before he died,” says Alencier. “What was the meaning of this? Strange are the ways of God.” 

(The New Indian Express, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode)

No comments:

Post a Comment